Monday, November 7, 2011

CHRISTMASTIME to make a difference

lately, with the start of the "holiday season" aka department store commercials, christmas shopping countdowns, christmas sections in every store you go to...i have really been thinking about how the American Christmas is really losing sight of what this holiday is all about.

Christmas is about selfless giving.
The wisemen, the sheperds, the little drummer boy. These "characters" in the Christmas pagaent are truly examples of why we celebrate Christmas and how we should. It is a celebration of CHRIST, so why do we buy each other ipods and dvds, sweaters, gift cards...such earthly and selfish gifts? i am guilty of this myself, as last year, i saved up for 3 months to buy my husband an ipod for our first Christmas together. for some reason, i thought it would make me feel good and it would be a memorable gift. this year, i am changing my tune and quite frankly, changing a lot more than that.

this year, instead of giving and receiving gifts that i do not need, i plan to give to families that DO need. families that needs "things" as well as love. families that have suffered so much, a gift could mean the difference between life and death. i can't believe i never thought of this before.

an old friend of mine from high school posted a link to the website adventconspiracy.org and it really put my wheels in motion about the changes i want to make both in myself and in this world. i am ready to put my entire self into helping others first and myself second. and starting this Christmas, i will be a witness to my change!

http://www.adventconspiracy.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment